Friday, July 26, 2013

Joann's came to town and I got to work ...

Montrose has come up in the world - we got a Joann's Fabric! Seems like a little thing, but it was just the thing to inspire my creativity. So I broke out the dye and the paint for a couple of projects.

First, it was my first dyeing experience. Half decent and half a disaster.

Here are my original pieces - a HUGE crochet table cloth that was in slight tatters and a terrible greenish color. I also had two vintage pillow shams that were stained ... this caused problems.

Here is the beginning.


Okay, here is the problem. The stains pulled more color than the rest of the pillowcase. No where I read could explain this to me, so I'm assuming that these must have been oily stains? I can't find answers on the internet. However, I do know that, in the future, I need to check those stains a little more closely!!

Here I had some more success. A lovely, bright fuchsia in a solid, all-over color. Even the patches pulled the same shade. I was VERY pleased. Now, if only to decide what to do with the thing so it doesn't totally fall apart! 

Tablecloth $1.00
Dye $2.88
Project Total $3.88


Then I started to work on these chairs that I bought at a yard sale last week for $5 each.

Using tape I started in with the somewhat random stripes.




Chair all finished! I'm quite pleased with the results.

Chairs $10.00
Paint ... FREE
Project Total $10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment