Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Pinterest Project: Artwork

A few months ago I found this great tutorial for some homemade wall art from Southern Belle Soul, Mountain Bride Heart - which was an idea from A Beautiful Mess (which is what made me fall in love with their site to begin with).  

Anyway, they inspired me to create something great out of an old piece of art. Enter Yard Sales.

Maybe you remember when I bought this painting about a month ago. It was a grand seventy-five cents and isn't really fine art. But I thought it'd do.

Supplies Needed:
A Painting
Repositionable Letters
Can of Spray Paint

Step 1. Get a Piece of art you don't mind painting over.


Step 2. Using sticky, repositionable letters, write out your quote of choice. I had to buy two packages for enough vowels - so plan accordingly. 
Caution: Make sure the letters are pretty even if you think that things being out of whack may bother you. 


Step 3. Prepare your painting area. I used a throw away drop cloth on my porch.

Step 4. Give the painting an even coat all over. Depending on the color paint you choose and what you are covering, you may need more than one coat - but that was all I needed here.


Step 5. Wait until paint is at least semi-dry. I was much too anxious to wait for it to dry all of the way - so I pealed them off before everything was all of the way dry.


Step 5b. I used a tweezers to pull the letters off - this was good to keep my fingers paint free and to not damage any paint.


Step 6. Save the letters - they are still plenty sticky and can be reused.


Step 7. Enjoy your finished project! Glee!!


2 comments: