Sunday, July 15, 2012

Rediscovery of a Chair

Well, yesterday I bought this sad fiberglass chair for a steal at a yard sale. Today I decided to not put off revamping it. 

We started with a sad yellow chair. 






After a quick trip to Home Depot, I had a color scheme. I was thinking bright orange, but then I decided I want to put it in my future guest room and this was a better color scheme.


The two cans of spray paint and a package of sandpaper came to grand total of $12.61.
There is at least a half a can of both paints left and I only used 1/2 sheet of sand paper. 


After a good sanding and scrubbing with soap and water the chair was brighter than ever ... but very chipped.


The chair after I had taped off the back. This probably wasn't necessary, but I don't like having to cover fresh paint (especially when I was painting the darker color first)

After the first coat of paint ... being impatient the seat was still a little damp and that is why the paint didn't stick in that first spot.


But that was quickly dried and the second coat made this look fabulous.



This is a better representation of the color, it is a pretty turquoise shade, not really as bright a blue as the pictures make it look.

To keep from overspray ruining the blue, I made this very spiffy and smart cover for the chair. It is just Painter's Tape and grocery bags. Then I could just throw it all away in the end. 


Before painting (I taped off the legs too, they aren't blue)


After painting the first coat.



The "After" Shot ... it turned out GREAT! I'm always a little nervous of what kind of line the Painter's Tape will leave, but I was impressed this time!



Chair Price: $5.00
Supplies: $12.61
Grand Total: $17.61

Plus all those leftover supplies I have for the next project ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment