Sunday, August 19, 2012

Free + Concert ... I'm there

I love the arts. Music, theatre, painting, sculpture ... I crave it. I'm drawn to these talented people; those who are interesting, comfortable in their own skin, and have this style that I could not mimic (or, at least, not pull off). 


Living in Montrose, the ability to fully immerse myself into this world of the arts is not as well fulfilled as I would like it to be. However, tonight was a little different ... tonight was wonderfully surprising or, as I would like to call it - Audrey Assad Comes to Montrose.




A Little More Pretext: I had downloaded her CD's before my last trip to Denver and, let's blame it on my car stereo, but I didn't connect with the music. I was tired, it was a long weekend, everyone was talking ... but I wish I had listened again before today. I don't know if it is knowing more about the music (because she gave these great song histories throughout the concert), or the thrill that comes from seeing someone live (always the best way to enjoy an artist), but the music sounds so different now (although, my car stereo really is terrible -- I need to look into that). Now I am enjoying the incredible music, the keen lyrics, and the beautiful voice that pulls it all together.


The Concert: Free means a lot when you have just graduated from grad school and are in a search for your dream job. Money is a precious resource around here ... and entertainment has been coming in the form of movies borrowed from the library. At the end of the this evening, I would have gladly paid for a ticket, because the music was wonderful and the atmosphere was peaceful and comfortable.



Opening: Travis Hastings
The Event: Audrey Assad


Audrey Assad has a sort of presence that is captivating (and funny and sorta self-depracating ... which she admits). She shyly accepts applause by putting her head down, and then looking up and smiling. She is honest, almost brutally so, about where she is coming from, the history of her songs, and how she questions her own life.


Her music is this sort of onion in that it has so many layers. I loved how she described her songs as "prophecies" because she writes them and then later understands why. The meaning shifts as her life changes and I think this is so true of art for many people (including myself), but I loved hearing the artist talk this way about her own music. Not many artists can captivate an audience for an hour and half, but there were no antsy people in this crowd - it really was amazing.



The Moral: If Audrey Assad comes to your town, don't pass up the opportunity to see her live.
In the mean time, be blessed by her honest music and fantastic talent!


All pictures from Audrey's Facebook and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment